President Trump’s budget for fiscal year for 2019 was released yesterday, and it includes steep cuts for domestic programs—including Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security—while calling for increased outlays for the military and other “security” measures.
But “An American Budget,” as it’s titled, goes far beyond cuts to the social safety net—virtually every department and agency is affected. Here’s the SparkNotes version.
Department of Agriculture
- Proposed cuts (compared to FY 2017): $938 million
- Programs cut: The budget proposes to reduce conservation operations, which “provides technical assistance to farmers and ranchers to conserve, maintain, and improve environmental outcomes on their land;” to cut funding for the Economic Research Service; and to eliminate funding for the Department of Agriculture’s Rural Business and Cooperative programs, which provide loans, loan guarantees, grants, and payments in rural America, as well as funding for the USDA’s rural single family housing direct loan program.
Department of Education
- Proposed cuts: $5.66 billion
- Programs cut: Trump’s budget proposes eliminating the Comprehensive Literacy Development Grants program, which encourages literacy in K-12; eliminating the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, which provides need-based financial aid to undergraduates; “significantly” reducing the Federal Work Study program ($990 million to $200 million in 2019); and eliminating the International Education and Foreign Language Studies Domestic and Overseas Programs, which are “grants are awarded to institutions of higher education to support centers, programs, and fellowships to increase the number of experts in foreign languages and international studies,” among other cuts, many of which were created to support low income students and communities.
Department of Energy
- Proposed cuts: $379 million
- Programs cut: Funding for several DOE programs would be eliminated completely or reduced, including the Advanced Research Project Agency-Energy program and the applied energy research and development programs focused on nuclear, fossil, renewables, efficiency, and electricity.
Department of Health & Human Services
- Proposed cuts: $4.8 billion
- Programs cut: Includes cuts to Medicare and Medicaid discussed in this post, and changes to the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program. It also eliminates funding for the Community Services Block Grant and health professions training programs that “lack evidence of significantly improving the Nation’s health workforce.”
President Trump released his 2019 budget vision today, and as you might expect it proposes some… Read more Read And other agencies would be cut significantly, including: The border wall, however, has $18 million earmarked for its construction. And the budget calls for $13 billion over the next two years for research and prevention for the opioid crisis. You can read the full budget here.
Trump Is Coming for Medicare, Medicaid and the ACA
Department of Housing and Urban Development
Department of Labor
Corporation for Public Broadcasting
Institute of Museum and Library Services
Legal Services Corporation
National Endowment for the Arts
National Endowment for the Humanities
Neighborhood Reinvestment Corporation
President Trump released his 2019 budget vision today, and as you might expect it proposes some…
Read more Read
And other agencies would be cut significantly, including:
The border wall, however, has $18 million earmarked for its construction. And the budget calls for $13 billion over the next two years for research and prevention for the opioid crisis.
You can read the full budget here.