“I know gym mats are cheaper if you search for ‘horse stall mats’ instead,” says redditor MMAJakob on r/Frugal. “Weddings are cheaper if you call it a birthday party too. What are some other things that get cheaper when you call it something else?” Here are some of the best answers from the thread.
Of course, user mareish replies that gym mats have gotten cheaper than horse mats—prices vary for everything, so don’t act on the tips below without a quick double-check.
- We’ll start with the one you’re all wondering about: Yes, you can substitute a medical folding wedge for a Liberator sex wedge. Thanks for the tip, Psydaranta.
- Babies are expensive. You might want to replace disposable changing pads with puppy pads, and pack your diaper bag with dog-poop bags instead of diaper disposal bags, says Sabrina. Adult pads might be even cheaper, says kurinevair666. Gerber cloth diapers work as burp cloths, says junter1001.
- Any time you find yourself searching for a “baby” product, try shopping for the adult version too, says Sabrina. Your baby doesn’t need its own special baby version of a blender, a humidifier, and a white noise machine. Sabrina points out that color- and fragrance-free detergent works just as well whether or not there’s a baby slapped onto the label. And when you do buy baby-specific supplies like crib sheets, try an all-purpose store before a specialty baby store.
- Don’t buy grilling gloves, says _hellonasty; buy welding gloves.
- “Everything related to pools is a giant money grab,” says jreed26. For example, instead of “pool salt,” you should just buy plain bagged salt at Costco.
- Tractor Supply gets named a lot in this thread. They sell pet supplies cheaply as farm supplies, and redditor hungaryforchile “found an entire pound (or more?) of pink Himalayan rock salt at a Tractor Supply store in the horse section for like $8.” For dry and cracked heels, Grandmapoppy recommends Tractor Supply’s bag balm instead of foot creams. And jreed26 bought a literal tractor supply to replace an expensive pool light: at a hardware store they found identical “tractor lights.”
- Hardware stores are good for plenty of cheap supplies, including art supplies, according to Milkshimmer. “Pour painting is really popular right now and the big brand is Liquitex, and runs about twenty bucks for a bottle. All you need is school glue and water for the same effect. Dish soap for cells if you want ’em.” Sashabybee adds, “If you need quality paint brushes, use makeup brushes!”
- Are you podcasting or recording music? Instead of dressing your room in “sound blankets,” get “moving blankets,” says CharlesWiltgen.
- If you don’t find acetone nail polish remover too harsh, “you can get a quart of pure acetone from the hardware store for the same price as a 6-8oz bottle in the toiletries section,” says wiredandwiser. (Dilute it and work your way up, according to your comfort level.)
- If you really burn through cat litter, says floongle, you might want to buy it in bulk as “horse bedding.”
- “Instead of “floor pillows” I buy giant dog beds,” says okdennvm.
- Melamine foam is a cheap alternative to the Magic Eraser sponge, says harleyquinn1234. A few people warn that it can crumble, but that it’s still worth the savings.
- “Common misspellings often go under the radar on eBay,” says spinja187. “A few years back we got a beautiful kayak for dirt cheap,” says allthoughtsaside. “The guy couldn’t understand why no one was coming to see his Cajyck off of Craigslist.” Check for common typos with TypoHound and FatFingers, says MOGicantbewitty.
You can already find some amazing deals on eBay, but to score even more awesome deals, you can… Read more Read You might think your insurance is getting the best prices possible for your prescriptions at your… Read more Read Read the whole thread at r/Frugal. And remember to double-check ingredients and components before you try an unusual substitution.
Search for Misspelled Items on eBay to Score Great Deals
Ask Your Pharmacist About Paying for Your Prescriptions in Cash
You can already find some amazing deals on eBay, but to score even more awesome deals, you can…
Read more Read
You might think your insurance is getting the best prices possible for your prescriptions at your…
Read more Read
Read the whole thread at r/Frugal. And remember to double-check ingredients and components before you try an unusual substitution.